birding-aus

birding-aus RFI: Photographing Birds and Habitats

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus RFI: Photographing Birds and Habitats
From: Phil Rankin <>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 07:52:04 -0400
I am looking at supplementing my birdwatching by taking photos of birds and
their habitats. I appreciate that it will take quite some time to become
proficient, however, I am looking forward to the challenge.

I am new to this and would appreciate advice and comments as what sort of
camera and lens I should be looking at. What brands are better than others?
I am prepared to pay for a decent camera but the sky is not the limit!

What sort of film should I be using? ie speed, prints, slides, etc.

Are digital cameras worth looking at yet as I would like to store some of
the better photos on my PC? Is a good colour scanner capable of scanning
photos and/or slides a better proposition?

Also any books and publications that can be recommended to help learn about
 the subject as well as anyone I can speak to or courses that are run. I
live in Newcastle NSW but go to Sydney quite frequently for work so I can
utilise either place.

I look forward to any responses and comments.

Phillip Rankin

quotes)