birding-aus

birding-aus birding

To: "birding Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus birding
From: Goodfellow <>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 99 20:28:03 +0930
Hullo all
Great views last week of one of my favourite birds of prey,
Black-breasted Buzzard - a pair sitting calmly in a tree on the road to
Point Stuart (off the Arnhem Highway), murmuring softly to each other.
Also the best views of Square-tailed Kite I've ever seen, quartering low
over our car.  The previous week spotted Black Falcon near Pine Creek
where it is nesting, and three Grey Falcons on the Victoria Highway.

A couple of weeks ago we went birding by helicopter at Bullo River
Station.  The scenery was wonderful, especially up in the escarpment, but
unfortunately there were few birds that we wanted, especially around the
billabongs where the canegrass had been trampled into oblivion mostly by
wild pigs.   Incidentally Hooded Parrots and Gouldian Finches are easy to
find at this time of the year; White-throated Grasswrens at Gunlom Falls
and elsewhere only a little less so.   Black-tailed Treecreepers have
been elusive as they usually are in the cooler months, and have just
begun to call in the last few weeks.

Back home to find our resident scrubfowl has taken to climbing the steps
to our verandah and eating dinner when we do (a banana).
Denise Goodfellow

quotes)