birding-aus

birding-aus Local birds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Local birds
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:50:25 +1000
Hello all
I live on suburban Sydney's north shore about 15 kms from the CBD in a
mainly built up area but backing onto a small bush-filled reserve I have
two seed dishes about 3m apart, hanging in deciduous trees near my boundary
with the reserve. There is also access to water nearby.
The regularly noticed seed eaters ( no sunflower seed) , are as follows:
Red-browed Finches
Eastern Rosella
Crimson Rosella
King Parrot
Sulphur- crested Cockatoo
Australian Magpie
Pied Currawong
Crested Pigeon
White headed Pigeon
Satin Bowerbird
Common Myna
Spotted Dove
The presence of these seed eaters seems to attract  insectivorous birds
which frequently seem to be reassured  or intrigued to some extent, by the
noise and activity :

Olive-backed Orioles
Silvereyes
Noisy Miners
Variegated Fairy-wrens
Brown Thornbills
Golden Whistlers
Koel Cuckoos (juv. )
Red Wattle Birds
Little Wattle Birds
Eastern Spinebills
and some other callers who find the site interesting such as;
Collared Sparrowhawk (so far has only taken Spotted Doves )
Grey Butcherbirds
Laughing Kookaburra
and of course Rainbow Lorikeets( just to show who's boss).
A recent visitor was a beautiful Emerald Dove
 Its that little bit of secure environment nearby which they need, I think.

Best wishes

Reg
Reg Clark
11 Carmen St