birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:31:47 +0100

Subject: Re: birding-aus Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:31:47 +0100
From: "Alex J. Saar" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 05:59:24 +0800
KEITH BRANDWOOD wrote:

> hi b/ausers this is a sad story. moved a couple of shrubs from close to
>the house last week didnt realize in doing so I exposed some large glass
>doors allowing birds to see right through the house via large glass doors
>on the otherside. fatalities 1 brown cukoo dove
1 wonga pigeon 2 red browed finches and 1 crested shrike tit the shrike
tit being my 138 species for my yard in the past 16 months.
 I have fixed the problem by installing blinds but  obviously cant leave
them closed all the time.
> whats the most successful method of preventing this happening again.
> beware of the consequences when moving shrubs it can be severe.

Hullo Keith.
  How distressing to lose so many birds. Glass doors are a problem -
hard to curtain because one wants to go in and out. How about
lightweight black shade-cloth over the outside of the glass, on one side
of the house or the other? You can see out through it. Perhaps you
should select and grow some more desirable shrubs..
  Hawk silhouettes are often recommended but not always very effective.
  Problem may be either because birds see building with glass both sides
as a way through - or because they see reflection of garden, sky etc on
newly revealed window. Most of my casualties with birds flying into
windows have been in unusual light conditions which produced a reflected
illusory sky.
  Hope you can solve this,
Anthea Fleming in Melbourne
To unsubscribe from this list,