birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Double-banded Plover

To: Bill Jolly <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Double-banded Plover
From: (Craig Eddie )
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 09:19:53 +1000
Bill,

I am aware of two other records of Double-banded Plover for the Lockyer Valley,
southeast Queensland.  A single bird was sighted at Atkinson's Dam in April 1987
(see D.I. Redhead 1990  "The Queensland Ornithological Society Bird Report,
1987"  Sunbird Volume 20, Number 1:  pp. 1-15), & another bird was reported from
the same location in May 1998.

Hope these records are of interest.

Regards,

Craig Eddie
Natural Resource Ranger
Roma District Office
Queensland Parks & Wildlife Service
Tel: (07) 4622 4266  Fax: (07) 4622 4151

Bill Jolly wrote:

> Thanks to John Hadley for alerting several of us to the sighting of a
> Double-banded Plover on Sunday at Lake Dyer (aka Bill Gunn Dam) in the
> Lockyer Valley (Qld).
>
> I caught up with it right next to the boat ramp yesterday (Monday) - not a
> full plumaged bird, but we were able to get very close to it, and shot just
> about a roll of film. As often happens, the first ten shots became redundant
> once we got closer, and as soon as we ran out of film, the bird practically
> walked up to us!
>
> This is the first known sighting of this bird in the area and brings the
> species list for the Lockyer Valley up to 317 from June 1973 to date.
>
> Bill Jolly
> "Abberton", Helidon, Qld
> ph  07 46976111
> fax 07 46976056
>
> email:
> Visit our website at: www.abberton.org
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
> Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
> quotes)

quotes)