birding-aus

Re: birding-aus SEQ Notes

To: Trevor Ford <>, Birding-aus <>, Jill Dening <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus SEQ Notes
From: Ros Laundon <>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 21:08:02 +1000
Hello Trevor,

There was a Beach Thick-knee at the Tangalooma Resort on Moreton Island on
Saturday night (west coast, middle).  A fishing friend has been kept awake for
years with their night wailing at a camping site near Blue Lagoon ( east coast,
northern end).

Thanks to information from one of the rangers  we had wonderful views of a Sooty
Oyster Catcher on the rocks at North Point.  It was busily pecking over the
rocks which were encrusted with small shellfish while dodging spray from
breaking waves.

One for Jill,
A Pheasant Coucal was calling about 2 km south-east of Mount Tempest, centre of
Moreton Island.  It was clearly audible from the top of said 'mount'.

Other birds seen:
Little Pied Cormorants,    very common, one group of 24.
Australian Pelicans,          common, they are fed at the resort.
Silver Gulls,                     common,
Crested Terns                  common,
Laughing Kookaburra      2
Whistling Kite                  2. One seen on each side of the island.
Brahminy Kite                  1. western side near Tangalooma.
Welcome Swallow          Cape Moreton and Yellowpatch (northern end)
Brown Honeyeater          Prolific in the banksia forest areas.
Silvereyes                        Prolific in banksia and other forested areas.
Grey Fantail                     Heard in forest near Mt Tempest.
Noisy Friarbird                Areas of tallish forest.
White-faced Heron          Eastern beach
Red-capped Dotterel       Eastern beach, only one.
Masked Lapwing            Several pair on eastern beach
Torresian Crows             Some
Pied Oystrercatcher         Pairs on eastern beach frequently encountered, often
within sight of the adjacent pair.  Much more numerous than the population on
Fraser Island during the last few years.  No pippies (eugaries) observed (a
frequently used food source for Pied Oystercatchers).

Feeding the dolphins was highly controlled, hygenic and very special.

One wild pig was seen plus evidence of  'rooting'.

Regards to all,
Ros laundon.

Trevor Ford wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> A couple of items that may be of interest to South-east Queensland birders.
>
> Don Cameron, ranger at Bribie Island, encountered eleven Beach Stone-curlews
> (Thick-knees) on a beach drive on Moreton Island on Tuesday 20/7.  Seven
> were in one group and the other four were further along the beach.  Good
> news, indeed!

quotes)