birding-aus

birding-aus Rushworth, Cuckoos & other things

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: birding-aus Rushworth, Cuckoos & other things
From: Susan Myers <>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:58:43 +1000
Spent last Sunday at Rushworth (largest block of Box-Ironbark still in
existence in Vic, located somewhere about the middle of the state). As usual we
had an excellent day, enjoying the barmy Vic winter - top temperatures of ca
16C continue to keep us southerners in a confused state.
The highlight of the day (and the point of this email) was an adult Black-eared
Cuckoo observed very well perched in a Yellow Gum for about 5~10 minutes at
Coy's Diggings. Chris Lester reliably informs me that this species was a
semi-regular visitor to this spot in the past but I think this may be the first
record for a while. Even given this, it seems remarkably early in the season
for this species. Otherwise nothing out of the ordinary but highlights included
a calling Crested Bellbird (in the same spot), Speckled Warbler, White-browed
Babbler (all declining in this state), 10 species of honeyeater in one
regenerating paddock and so on.
If, by any chance, anyone would like a full list drop me an email.
cheers,
Susan Myers

quotes)