birding-aus

birding-aus Re: regent malleefowl

Subject: birding-aus Re: regent malleefowl
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:20:19 +1000
It is probably important to correct a couple of inaccuracies about this
issue early in order to ensure that they don't become entrenched as
psuedofact.  The forest in question is Goonoo State Forest near Dubbo.
This is not a national park but a state forest where the removal of forest
products is permissible.  There is a small population of Malleefowl in the
forest and, currently, a pair of Regent Honeyeaters.

I suspect that these facts might need rigorous testing if they are to be
used to argue against the harvest of ironbarks to produce charcoal.  This
charcoal is apparently necessary for a new silica/silicon (??) plant near
Lithgow.  I do not have all the facts available.

The things that that immediately come to mind that need questioning
include:
    is the assumption that this harvesting will impact on Malleefowl - do
   the Malleefowl utilise the area earmarked for harvesting, for example?
   If not then this argument is dead in the water.
   how important is this area for Regent Honeyeater?  I am aware of only
   three records of Regent Honeyeater within 50km of this site in the last
   five years (a need for people to report their records, perhaps?).

Please don't think I support this proposed harvesting.  I merely think
anyone proposing this action needs to get hold of the facts and that any
move to fight the proposal be made on solid arguments.  It could well be
that it could be better argued against by pointing out that the area is
important for Glossy Black Cockatoos (once again it is important to check
the facts).  How unique is this forest type?  How much of it is reserved?
These are the things that should be looked at.  It is entirely likely that
these issues are being put forward but in a quick grab on the news it is
easier to concentrate on the sexy fauna such as Malleefowl and Regent
Honeyeater.

If anyone out there is going to jump on this or any other bandwagon please
make sure you are aware of the facts so that any arguments are not
dismissed easily.

David Geering

quotes)