birding-aus

birding-aus Pelagic out of Perth, 11th July

Subject: birding-aus Pelagic out of Perth, 11th July
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:41:52 +0900
Hi birders, stirrer back again.

With reference to Frank's report on the above pelagic I would like to add a
few comments.
1) A couple of other SA birders were present but not mentioned, namely Enid
Pascoe and Hilda Anderson.
2) Compared to pelagics which we had experienced off Robe in SA, Portland
in Vic, and Dunalley in Tas, we found the numbers, as correctly reported by
Frank, were extremely low. There were only 72 pelagic birds seen, and when
you realise that of those 20 were Crested Terns and another 20 were
Gannets, and 4 were Silver Gulls, that only leaves 28 others in 10 species.
What one might refer to as a very sparse day, except that two of them were
lifers for me. The recent pelagics as recorded off Sydney and Wollongong
show many more birds in both species and numbers and I can recall one trip
off Robe when at one spot we estimated 150 Albatross in four species,
together with many species of Petrels, Shearwaters, Prions,Storm-petrels,
etc, etc.
I wonder whether this low number is normal for the Indian Ocean? It
certainly caught us by surprise.
3) Our thanks to Frank for organising the trip and for his other help in
finding the WA endemics on our trip.

Tony Russell.
Tony Russell,
45, Ridgefield Ave.,