birding-aus

birding-aus White headed pigeons and camphor laurel

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: birding-aus White headed pigeons and camphor laurel
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:51:23 +1000
To all in this debate
My own small comment after the first note merely pondered on the increasing numbers, as perceived by me, of the pigeons. Not on their responsibility for the obvious increase of camphor laurel. The comments since have spoken much about the link between these pigeons and the spread of camphor laurel ...While I have learned much about the eating habits of these endearing pigeons I was never under any illusion about which came first. The camphor laurels have been there in numbers long before I noted the increase of the pigeons. Now is there a link in the other direction? Or is this a different dispersal? ie Has this native bird enjoyed our changes to the environment? To be added to the Magpie lark, Crested Pigeon, etc??? And when will the Brown Flycatcher learn to enjoy our help in modifying our landscape?
Brian Everingham