birding-aus

Re: birding-aus White-headed Pigeons

To: Brian Everingham <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus White-headed Pigeons
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 17:43:54 +1000
G'day Ros, Brian and B'ausers,
During the past 10 years White-headed Pigeons have been a feature of Dayboro,
our small town north of Brisbane, almost invariably they are seen in or between
Camphor Laurels although I have found nests nearby in riverine forest.
Occasionally flocks of 20-30 are around but not frequently.
I believe they are also fairly common in Toowoomba probably for the same
reason.
Tom Tarrant
Dayboro, Qld

Brian Everingham wrote:

> That was exactly the same thought I had while wandering the North Coast of
> NSW this July school holidays. The birds are much more prolific than ever
> before ... and in locations such as cleared farming lands ... eg the flood
> plain north of Kempsey. Having been raised between Taree and Kempsey I have
> no recollection of their abundance. I had wondered re: the connection with
> camphor laurel.
> Brian Everingham

quotes)