birding-aus

birding-aus BLUE PETRELS AND OTHER GREAT SEABIRDS OFF LONG REEF

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus BLUE PETRELS AND OTHER GREAT SEABIRDS OFF LONG REEF
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:57:24 +1000
I like to post some fantastic observations made by Michael Ronan who regularly seawatches off Long Reef (10 kmn north of Sydney). Some of he's incredible highlights while sea watching from land (yes that is, not on a boat and VERY close inshore) at Long Reef during the past week have included :

- 3 Blue Petrels (one on 9th, 13th and another on the 15th seen within a few metres off the rocks and very well. Michael says one was almost touching the rocks)

- several (if not the same bird) Southern Fulmars (one on the 15th and seen 5 other times over the past 2 weeks) (I hope I do manage to see one for myself - a 50/50 chance)

- Kerguelen Petrel (great view of one close in and well described my Michael - large dark head contrasting with rest of body, underwing pattern, longish pointed tail aswell as different flight compared to Providence and Great-winged petrel)

- white morph Southern Giant Petrel

- plus loads of Cape, Great-wings and a Providence Petrel aswell, hundreds of Prions (3-4 species) , several juv./immature Wandering Albatrosses etc etc etc.

Anything is possible in these strong southerly breezes !!!

Michael has also had many other great seabird sightings off Long Reef over the past 5 or so years including Common Diving Petrels, White Terns, White-necked Petrels and many others.

I hope I am not the only one who has gone all crazy with all these seabird sightings.

Edwin