birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Black-breasted Buzzard - another at Gunbower Is

To: "birding Aus" <>, "Lawrence E. Conole" <>, "Goodfellow" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Black-breasted Buzzard - another at Gunbower Is
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:24:41 +1000
This is similar to my only sighting of a Square-tailed Kite as we were
travelling through Western Queensland on our trip to NT in April 1998.  The
Kite was feeding on a large Tiger Snake at the side of the highway.  When
we stopped just past the spot, it flew up but circled low (about 20 metres
in height) and close (circles of about 100 metres in diameter) for 5
minutes while we watched from about 20 metres away from the kill.  After we
got back in the car and moved on about 100 metres, it immediately returned
to its dinner.

It made identification and observation of the STK very easy (and
enjoyable), and I don't think we upset his/her dinner time too much.

Bob Cook

----------
> From: Goodfellow <>
> To: Lawrence E. Conole <>; birding Aus
<>
> Subject: Re: birding-aus Black-breasted Buzzard - another at Gunbower Is
> Date: Thursday, 8 July 1999 10:58
>
> Lawrence
> The best view I had of a Black-breasted Buzzard was on the old Jim Jim
> Road near Kakadu a few years ago.  It was feeding on a very large and
> dead Mulga Snake when my colleague and I drove up.  As we stopped to
> examine the kill the buzzard strode off to the side of the road and
> positioned itself behind a tree peering out from either side every so
> often to see whether we had gone.  Then after a few minutes it seemed to
> grow impatient and began pacing to and fro like an expectant father.  As
> soon as we drove off the buzzard strode back to the snake and resumed
> feeding.
> Denise Goodfellow
> To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
> Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
> quotes)

quotes)