birding-aus

birding-aus Inland Dotterels

To: Richard Jordan <>
Subject: birding-aus Inland Dotterels
From: rcj <>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:46:48 +1000
Richard

Regarding your confiding Inland Dotterel: I was once taking photographs of
a nesting Inland Dotterel, and found it to be extraordinarily quiet. At the
risk of being flamed for disturbing breeding birds, let me assure everyone
that the following only occurred because the bird showed absolutely no
signs of concern. I had taken a few photos from relatively close, and on
seeing no anxiety from the bird, continued to approach over quite a few
minutes.

Eventually I was so close that I had full frame photos, and wondered just
how close it would allow me to approach. From my youth, I was aware that
Blackbirds will often lie in the nest without flight. I continued until I
was within arm's length of the standing Dotterel. I then extended my arm,
and was amazed that the bird permitted me to put my hand under its breast.

I then quietly retreated, and checked on the bird each day as we drove past
the site. It was still sitting when our trip was concluded.

Let me assure subscribers that, had the bird showed any distress, I would
have retreated immediately, as I have done on many other occasions with
other breeding birds.

Regards

Bob James
Sunshine Coast
Richard Jordan wrote:

> Another interesting occurrence was an Inland Dotterel that flew into
> our camp one morning - and just stood there as one of the photographers
> crept to within half a metre. Is this normal behaviour? It seemed to
> be a healthy adult bird.
>
> Richard

quotes)