birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Cairns Esplanade

To: "Keith and Lindsay Fisher" <>, <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Cairns Esplanade
From: Goodfellow <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 99 13:32:14 +0930
Dear Keith and Lindsay

Congratulations on your victories.

We have had a few here.  But while Mike Reed, Minister for Parks and
Wildlife has done much with the aid of a little pressure, for instance
declaring a national park right in the heart of Darwin and rezoning the
Stuart Park mangroves, the latter are apparently still under threat.  I'm
now told there are plans to again rezone it for development. Yet this
area is the only one I know of where Chestnut Rail are relatively easy to
see. Now I've been told by a reliable source that it is likely to
disappear virtually overnight.

Last week a Sydney birdwatcher rang the NT Tourist Commission to ask the
name of a local birdwatcher or guide, and was given the phone number of a
lady who raises caged birds!  Still at least they took his inquiry
seriously.  Mind you I have only been trying to get them to take
birdwatchers seriously  for seventeen years! Perhaps they've been so
dismissive because they think I'm mad.  After all what sane person would
frequent mangroves and sewage ponds!
Denise Goodfellow
Darwin
Top End