birding-aus

birding-aus Black Grasswren by air

Subject: birding-aus Black Grasswren by air
From: "Keith Betton" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:59:56 +0100
G'day All

In case any of you are short of time in the Kimberley I thought the
following might be of use.

While in Kununurra two weeks back I joined a group of ordinary
holiday makers who were doing a flight to the Mitchell Falls.  The
charter left Kununurra at 0930, and returned at 1630.  The flight
included a fair amount of sightseeing.  We arrived at the airstrip
which is 18km from Mitchell Falls at 1100.  A helicopter dropped
everyone else at the falls and then dropped me 2km the other side
at what they call the "car park".  This is where the 4WD camping
area is.  I had just two hours on the ground, but found a group of
four Black Grasswrens after 80 minutes searching.  They were in
the boulders area described in Thomas & Thomas just to the right
of the path.  The area has been burned recently, but the birds were
there.

If anyone needs a more accurate description I'll happily provide a
GPS reading.

The cost is A$595.  The flights were with Slingair who were very
helpful with my request but didn't have a clue about Black
Grasswrens (they do now!).  It is expensive, but I am sure they
would do as good deal for a private charter.  Their website is
www.slingair.com.au

Regards
Keith Betton
(London, UK)