birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Warrigul Rd Wetlands, Moorabbin

To: Nigel Sterpin <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Warrigul Rd Wetlands, Moorabbin
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 22:22:43 +1000
Hi Nigel

Much of this area is now a Parks Victoria site: Karkarook Park. They
took over management of the land about 3 years ago and there was a
massive grass fire last year. I believe it is managed through the
Braeside Park office, but I could be wrong.  The entrance is via one of
the side roads off the Warrigal Highway.

This is yet another case of millions being spent on restoring wetlands
which were ill-advisedly drained in the past.  I wonder if we will ever
get again the wealth of birds listed for the area by Roy Wheeler and
Bryan Mitchell in the 1950s.

I'll write in a bit about Melbourne Water contact people.

Michael Norris

quotes)