birding-aus

birding-aus Ornithology Course at Ch.Sturt university Bathurst

To: Russell <>
Subject: birding-aus Ornithology Course at Ch.Sturt university Bathurst
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 16:21:08 +1100
 Dear All

I also took this course last year - successfully but did not do half as
well as Elinor - she is BRILLIANT!  It is a very intersting course and
covers the basics on all matters to do with birds, from biology to
conservation, taxonomy, paleontology, etc. There's also a good set-book
"Ornithology" by Frank Gill (USA) available from the Co-op Bookshop for
around $85 if you are a member or $95 approx.

However, the course's 4 subjects can be taken one at a time, two in the
year or, as some of us did, all 4 in the year (very hard if also working
full time). Takes a lot of time doing field work for the assignments. Those
that did not do all 4 subjects last year are doing some or the rest this
year - all power to their elbows.

It is the first university ornithology course in Australia. Plans are
underway to add another 4 subjects in 2000, which will take it to Diploma
level. Further plans are to introduce a Masters open to those who do
particularly well in the Diploma. Details are available from Dr. Al Gibbs,
Charles Sturt University - Mitchell, Panorama Avenue, Bathurst 2795

I haven't got Al's email with me at work but you can get a message to him
via Dr Andrew Fisher on E-mail:  (Sorry Andrew).

I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to widen their understanding of
birds and their conservation.

Penny

quotes)