birding-aus

Re: birding-aus lerps

To: Sean Pywell <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus lerps
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 21:37:13 +1000
Sean Pywell wrote:

> Can anyone clarify what the term 'lerp' refers too? Is it the actual
> pysillid insect, or is it the psyllid's exudate? I find various
> references use 'lerp' for both meanings. If it is the former, then
> what is the exudate called?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean Pywell.
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
> Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without
> the
> quotes)
Hullo Sean,
As far as I am concerned lerp means the scaly covering which the beastie
lives under. I believe it is actually an aboriginal word. Some kinds are
sweet enough for humans to eat - the ones I have tried have not been
very palatable but you never know... Many birds eat both lerp and
insect, Bell-miners are supposed to leave the insect to make another
scale, thereby doing no good to the host tree.
Anyway the term is often used loosely, 'container for the thing
contained' as they used to say back in the Dark Ages when people
actually learned about Figures of Speech.
 Anthea Fleming in Ivanhoe

quotes)