birding-aus

Re: birding-aus [Fwd: NEWCASTLE DISEASE UPDATE]

To: Anne & Roger Green <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus [Fwd: NEWCASTLE DISEASE UPDATE]
From: HARRIS & WESTRUP John & Jude <>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 10:21:43 +1000
Anne & Roger Green wrote:

> There was a report on our early morning TV today which moved me to
> tears. I can't see the logic in killing aviary birds. How are they
> supposed to catch or pass on the disease? Couldn't an extra barrier of
> wire or shadecloth be put around to prevent contact with wild birds?
> Anne
> --
>  Anne & Roger A. Green

As a former aviculturist, Anne, Newcastles Disease was always in the
back of my mind.  You ask the Question about how it could be transmitted
by aviary birds.  2 possible ways:- from contact with wild birds that
may be carrying the disease and secondly they could also be carriers
after this contact and when they are sold etc to another fancier, the
disease would go with them, compounding the quarantine problem.  I don't
like to see birds put down, in case, but it is far better than allowing
such diseases to "get a foot in the Australian avian door".

Regards

John Harris

quotes)