birding-aus

birding-aus Beach washed land birds.

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus Beach washed land birds.
From: Mike & Judy Hines <>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:13:59 +1000
    John McLaren's posting May 7 on a Marbled Frogmouth being all at sea
at Byron Bay has stirred me into reporting the following  beach washed
birds at Point Lookout, North Stradbroke Island.
                14/02/99    Pheasant Coucal on Deadmans Beach, dead  > 2
days.
                15/02/99    Tawny Frogmouth on Deadmans Beach, fresh
carcass.
                07/03/99    Australasian Grebe live at waters edge, Main
Beach. (Queensland Museum Specimen).
                16/04/99    Grey Fantail remains, Main Beach.
(Queensland Museum specimen, identity to be confirmed).
    Apart from the Pheasant Coucal, these birds or variations of, are
found also on places like Lord Howe I., Norfolk I., and New Zealand, and
I was interested to read in a display at the Dunedin Museum recently
that eruptions of A/asian Grebes occur with birds arriving in New
Zealand as a result.
                Mike Hines.

quotes)