birding-aus

birding-aus Possible Papuan Harrier

To: "" <>
Subject: birding-aus Possible Papuan Harrier
From: Lloyd Nielsen <>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 13:42:20 +1000
This morning (Tuesday 4 May), a large black and white harrier was
spotted about 1 km north of Mt Molloy by Peter Pal.  He described it as
very much black and white with a plain tail and very prominent black
wing tips. He is aware of the dark hooded juvenile Spotted Harrier and
said it was too black and white for that bird.  We went out for 2 hours
trying to find it again but without success.

This is just to advise everyone living here and those who may be in the
Atherton Tableland, Mt Molloy, Mt Carbine, Mossman area now or in the
next few weeks to keep an eye out for it.  Male Papuan Harriers are
pretty much unmistakeable.  One good field character if in doubt is that
the tail is plain grey in male semi-adult and adult Papuans (heavily
barred in juvenile Spotted).  I think I am right in saying that the next
record (accepted) for Papuan Harrier will be the first for Australia.

Good luck

Lloyd Nielsen
Mt Molloy
Nth Qld.