birding-aus

birding-aus Paradise Riflebird

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: birding-aus Paradise Riflebird
From: Laurence & Leanne Knight <>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:37:56 +1000
I had a pleasant spot of a paradise riflebird at a lookout near Jimna
[on the road heading north out of Kilcoy] and the Sunday Creek Rd
turnoff [traverses the Connondale Range] - about 2 hours out of Brisbane
for those unfamiliar with the area.

I had just stepped off a track [as you would] and heard a scraping
sound.  A rifle bird was busily prospecting a skinny dead tree less than
10 metres away and downhill from where I was.  He didn't mind me being
there, concentrating rather on extracting his next meal.  He didn't have
the a treecreeper's capacity to perch upside down and fell off the tree
at one point, but was back shortly after to resume his prying [I suspect
he knew something was lurking because he kept working on the same
spot].  It was certainly nice to see the irridescent spot on top of his
head [don't get to see that from ground level all that often].

LK

quotes)