birding-aus

birding-aus Painted Honeyeater and Brush Bronzewing

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Painted Honeyeater and Brush Bronzewing
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:57:34 +1000
Yesterday, 25th April, I was finally able to return to Jandowae for the first time in over six years.  Jandowae is a very small township about 300 kms by road west-north-west of Brisbane.  During my five years living there I found that it had to be the Painted Honeyeater capital of Australia with birds being able to be found at all time of the year in one or two areas.

Yesterday, I was able to find a short time (less than one and a half hours) to check out some of my favourite spots accompanied by my non-birder host.  This meant about 50 minutes actual birding with 35 minutes driving.  A total of 36 species were seen in and around Jandowae during this time.

Painted Honeyeaters were heard and a quick glimpse of a flying bird occurred about 5 km from town.  This is in the same area as previously found.  A quick check of the mistletoe on the belah showed plenty of flower but no berries.   I was not able to check all of the trees.  It is difficult to explain the exact location in an e-mail but if anyone wants to visit the site, let me know and I will try.

An immature Red-capped Robin was rescued from a cat just prior to my arrival.  After rest and water, it was released in a more favourable spot and flew off.  I hope it survived.

For Trevor: In 1983 I saw a Brush Bronzewing on the road into Burrum Heads about 300km north of Brisbane.  The vegetation is all coastal heath in that area.

Terry Pacey
TOOWOOMBA QLD