birding-aus

birding-aus King Quail at Wilsons Promontory (Aust.)

Subject: birding-aus King Quail at Wilsons Promontory (Aust.)
From: "Martin O'Brien"<>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:44:25 +1100
                          A request for the list

A Parks Victoria Ranger at Wilsons Promontory (Victoria, Aust.) has asked
me for any records of King Quail at the Prom.  King Quail are listed as
threatened fauna on schedule 2 of the Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act and all
records of the species in Victoria are significant.  Has there been no
records for over 30 years at the Prom?

Would list members check those notebooks and get back to me directly if
necessary?  Any other records for else where in Victoria would be of
interest provided they have not been forwarded to the Atlas of Victorian
Wildlife.  Thanks in advance.

Elaine Thomas (Ranger Wilsons Promontory National Park) request reads in
part -

What do you know about King Quail on the Prom?  Roy Cooper, in his book
WPNP and its avifauna, says that he saw them several times in 1966 but then
did not see them again.  He says they were seen at Vereker Flats (we're not
sure where this is).  That is the last record of them that I have seen.  Do
you know anymore about them?  Can you
try your bird email discussion group?

Martin O'Brien
Executive Scientific Officer
Scientific Advisory Committee
Threatened Species Program
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Pde.,
East Melbourne,  3002
Victoria, AUSTRALIA

tel: +61 3 9412 4567