birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Neck-swaying White-faced Heron

To: Jill Dening <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Neck-swaying White-faced Heron
From: kim sterelny <>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:15:49 +1200
Hi Jill,
        If I rememmber rightly, owls move their head to fixate on prey
because their eyes are not equipped to saccade. Our eyes move in our head
all the time, and this helps not just with stereopsis but also it prevents
retinal cells habituating to an exact visual stimulus. I do not recall the
reference, but I think there is experimental evidence that if you prevent
autonomous eye movements in humans you induce a kind of temporary
blindness. I have no idea whether the same is true of herons, but if I had
to guess, that would be mine.

Kim
Kim Sterelny
Philosophy