birding-aus

birding-aus Re: plains wanderer

To: "" <>
Subject: birding-aus Re: plains wanderer
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 15:06:21 +1000
G'day Coll and Richard,
Just got back from SW Qld last night and am feeling a bit crook....think I
might have 'flu coming on. Thanks for the recent mail regarding western
sightings......unfortunately we found Richard's Plains Wanderer area between
telegraph poles 260-261 near Eulo Bore but despite some extensive diurnal
and nocturnal searching failed to find them although we did find several
White-browed Treecreepers, WW Triller, Chestnut-b Quail-Thrush and many
spiders (whilst spot-lighting)
Both of the guys that came out with me (Michael Knoll from Germany and
Detlef Davies from the UK) had been to Deniliquin and had seen PW with Phil
Maher (I haven't) and were very surprised at the difference in habitat from
his site in NSW. Apart from this disappointment we managed to track down all
the Australian Babblers and Woodswallows (between Stanthorpe and
Thargomindah) and had some cracking views of Black-breasted Buzzard,
Golden-backed Honeyeater, Black-eared Cuckoo, Turquoise and Bourke's Parrots
and sadly (due to the fact that I missed it!) Michael saw White-fronted
Honeyeater near Thargomindah.
I was a little concerned at the apparent expansion of the Cotton industry
especially when we may have been crop-dusted at Broadwater Lagoon near
Dalby...although I am a realist and realise the economic potential of the
crop are there any management controls in effect, it certainly seems to make
the areas fauna-free and how much production is required before it becomes a
profit-less venture?
Currently though one can still have a great birding trip through the region
and I will try and create a trip-report with some images in the near future.

Look forward to any comment,
Tom and Marie Tarrant
Dayboro, Qld