birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Glossy Black-Cockatoo in Nth Qld

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Glossy Black-Cockatoo in Nth Qld
From: Chris Corben <>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:01:59 -0700
Ian Clayton wrote:

>A pair of breeding Glossy Black-Cockatoos have been discovered in the
>Paluma Range to the north of Townsville.  This is some 400 km north of
>all previous breeding records.  The site is being kept under wraps at

I was extremely interested to hear about this. Way back in 1982 I walked
down the road from Paluma most of the way towards the main road, and at one
point I was in a Casuarina forest which looked very suitable for Glossy
Blacks and I found several examples of piles of broken Casuarina fruits
which to me looked exactly like what I expect to see from Glossys. At the
time I asked around to see if anyone knew of Glossys in the area, or if
Red-tails do a similar thing. I came up blank on both questions.

Seems incredible that such a large, relatively conspicuous bird could go
unnoticed for so long!

Chris Corben
PO Box 2323
Rohnert Park