birding-aus

birding-aus Melbourne relative to Sydney

To: "Calamanthus Pty. Ltd." <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Melbourne relative to Sydney
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:18:26 +1000
I know this message is a total waste of time, so maybe I should apologise first.
Euan Moore. wrote "For the geographically challenged, Melbourne is a city about 1:15hrs flying time (Boeing 747) south east of Sydney."
Proud as I am for raising the matter of asking people to clarify the mode of transport, if referring to distance as a function of time, hence it is nice to see this reference to flying time, I regret to point out the obvious that Melbourne is south west of Sydney, not south east and I hope Euan is not an airline pilot.
Anyway, where is Sydney and does it matter?
Melbourne is south west and down the hill from Canberra, that is what matters.

Actually, it does matter, I'm going to Sydney to see Deep Purple on Wednesday night. To follow a previous birding-aus line also initiated from Kambah in Canberra, that is not opera and sorry I'm not likely to see any birds there.
Saw a Little Eagle soaring above the Westgate Freeway near the Williamstown exit yesterday 11/04/99.  For those who don't know Melbourne,  this is an industrial area about 7km (as the raptor flies) from the CBD.  This is the first little eagle I've seen so close to the city limits however I oftern seen kestrels and have recorded kestrels, peregrines and black-chouldered kites at nearby Westgate Park.

Euan Moore.

For the geographically challenged, Melbourne is a city about 1:15hrs flying time (Boeing 747)south east of Sydney.