birding-aus

birding-aus re: Autumnal threads

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus re: Autumnal threads
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 12:20:46 +1000
We're a little further south than Jill Dening, (in the Lockyer Valley,
approx 110 km west of Brisbane) but we also have autumn announced to us each
year by the Grey Fantail. I always feel that there is a sort of "phony
autumn", being the little gap between the reluctant realisation that the
summer regulars have left, and the bold announcement, always from the Grey
Fantail, that autumn has formally begun. Or maybe Jill's got it right, and
the gap was autumn, and this is winter!

This year they arrived here on 23rd March, about the usual time for us, and
clearly a little earlier than Jill's experience on the Sunshine Coast.
Within a week or so of the Grey Fantail's arrival we also find occasional
parties of Spangled Drongos dropping in, using "Abberton" as a rest area on
their journey north. Four or more in a tree is not unusual, and very
entertaining visitors they are.

Still on autumn topics, Jim Davis was mentioning that birds can sing in
autumn for a number of reasons. For several days over the last week or so we
have been enjoying regular performances from a male Leaden Flycatcher who
has been strutting his stuff energetically, with his entire body arched
backwards from the topmost point of his raised crown through to the tip of
his tail - reminiscent of the proud curving stance of a young gymnast who
has just made a perfect landing - all the time pouring out his song to a
lady Leaden on an adjacent branch who appears to be quite taken with the
show. But this surely isn't going to lead anywhere at this time of year.
Comments, explanations or opinions would be most welcome.

About two weeks back, we were watching a pair of Little Eagles roaming
nowhere, basically just over the garden, while one bird performed a dramatic
display, (as ever for the benefit of the nearby female), executing repeated
plunges with wings folded back, interspersed with mutual 'linked' soaring.
It seems that in Australia there is never a time of year when avian
courtship isn't in swing somewhere.

Finally, a party of Red-tailed Black Cockatoos passed over the house
this-morning, Tuesday 12th April, while I was trying hard to get off the
phone! So unfortunately I can't say how many. But they're fairly regular
here at this time of year.

Bill Jolly
"Abberton", Helidon, Qld

ph  07 46976111