birding-aus

birding-aus Peregrine Falcon at Bev Hills

Subject: birding-aus Peregrine Falcon at Bev Hills
From: "Paul McDonald" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:11:47 +1000
Hi All,

On the raptors in cities thread, saw a female Peregrine harassing pigeons on
the intersection of Stoney Creek and King Georges road today, in the southern
built up area of Sydney. Makes quite a change from the usual Indian Mynahs,
European Starlings etc.

I know these names are out of date, but I will continue to use them,. as it
highlights the fact that they are introduced and do not belong in Aus. I have
several times had arguments with non-birdy people about House Sparrows,
Common Mynahs and Rock DOves that all of these birds are native (They are
common, always have been.........). The use of a descriptive name helps to
avoid this. Scientific names avoid any world-wide confusion and would be used
in any journal, avoiding the need to have a strictly unique common name for
every species. Sorry to repeat past topics, just ideal pre- caffeine wanderings!

Cheers, Paul
Paul McDonald
Department of Biological Sciences
Division of Environmental and Life Sciences
Macquarie University, Sydney NSW, 2109
Australia
Phone: (02) 9850 8191 Fax: (02) 9850 8245

http://www.bio.mq.edu.au/ecology/