birding-aus

birding-aus Lorikeets in Sydney

Subject: birding-aus Lorikeets in Sydney
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:56:15 +1000
Thanks to all those that replied to my query re. current attractants for
Musk Lorikeets in the Sydney area.

It would appear that, at the moment, the major food source is the
Broad-leaved Paperbark  Melaleuca quinquenervia.  Birds have also been seen
feeding in Grey Box and a planted Flooded Gum in the Campbelltown area.
There was one report of Musks in Mugga Ironbark in the Artarmon area but it
would appear that Mugga has yet to really start flowering extensively.

Am still not certain if the influx of Musks is due to a scarcity of nectar
west of the ranges (if it is then expect Swift Parrots and Regent
Honeyeaters as well) or if this is becoming an annual event much as it is
in Melbourne.

As I was reminded by Chris Bandis, Musks do not occur (at least not
commonly) further up the NSW north coast (my old stomping ground) where
Scaly-breasted Lorikeets are common.  Are Scaly's reducing opportunities
for Musks in that area, are Musks less able to cross the ranges further
north (wouldn't think so myself), are the extensive plantings of street
trees attracting them or are they being forced to the coast by an
incremental loss of habitat west of the ranges and an associated loss of
reliable flowering of key eucalypts?  All these questions and more!

David Geering

quotes)