birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Lorikeets in Sydney

To: "David Geering"<>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Lorikeets in Sydney
From: (Andy Burton)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:08:46 +1000
>Can anyone tell me what the Musk Loikeets in Sydney are feeding on?  I can
>only assume that there may be a shortage of nectar elsewhere causing these
>birds to congregate on the coast.
>
>If the Musks are doing this there is every chance other mobile species,
>notably the Regent Honeyeater and Swift Parrot, may show up as well.  It is
>well worth keeping particularly alert for these species.
>
>Does anyone know the current state of affairs re. flowering of Swamp
>Mahogany and Mugga Ironbark (particularly the Castlereagh area where the
>Regents were last year).  It is probably still a little early for both but
>it's worth keeping on eye on these things.
>
>David Geering

Hi David,

        Street/ornamental plantings of Melaleuca quinquinervia are heavily
in flower in Sydney at the moment and Rainbow Lorikeets are certainly
feeding in that species. I see no reason why the Musks wouldn't be doing
likewise. Close to home in Artarmon (ca 6 km n. of the Sydney Harbour
Bridge) I found 4 feeding in an unspecified, lone flowering euc. in a
garden. Keep planting those lone eucs.!!

In Baulkham Hills (north western suburbs) Musks are common at the moment
and whilst I haven't had the time to check their feeding preferences in
that area, I did notice a Mugga (?) Ironbark in flower the other day.

        In 20 years of relatively serious birding in Sydney I have
virtually never come across this species other than the small, resident
population at Cumberland State Forest. In the early years I may have
overlooked them but I doubt it. However this is the second year in a row
when this species might be described as being quite common throughout
Sydney. Quite often last year they were seen feeding in, amongst others,
eucs.planted about 20 years ago by developers as part of the beautification
of their projects.

        Just to briefly continue that thread, I express my disappointment
at the current trend by developers to plant exotic species at nearly all
local sites. The current trendy plant is, I believe, the Chinese or Golden
Elm. Apparently of no interest to the local wildlife and yet splashed like
buckets of vomit across the landscape. Yuk!!

        It should be so easy for local government authorities to influence
these people and their landscape advisors to plant species more sympathetic
to the local environment. Shouldn't it ???

regards, Andy

Andy Burton
Andy Burton's Bush Tours
703/4 Francis Road