birding-aus

birding-aus WATER BIRDS GALORE IN THE HUNTER (NSW) 11/4/99

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus WATER BIRDS GALORE IN THE HUNTER (NSW) 11/4/99
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 19:12:46 +1000
With all the heavy rain we have had recently along the NSW coast, the low lying areas and swamps between Raymond Terrace ( within 20 km NW of Newcastle) and Maitland has become a haven for an enormous amount of waterbirds, namely "thousands" of Sacred and Straw-necked Ibis (many presumably nesting?), Grey and Chestnut Teals, Wood Ducks aswells as hundreds of Cormorants, Black Swans, Black Duck various white Egrets, White-faced Herons, Pied Stilts and lesser numbers of both Spoonbills, Pacific Herons etc. Magpie Geese are nesting at Seaham Swamp Nature Reserve, which is just about 10km north of Raymond Terrace. Several Whistling Kites and Brown Falcons (the Falcons were chasing flocks of Starlings) were also present. In Grahamston Reservoir (at Raymond Terrace) no fewer than 40 Musk Ducks were present including 10 males whistling and displaying at the same time. Many Scarlet Honeyeaters were heard here aswell as at Seaham and Glen Oak.

On the foreshores of Lemon Tree Passage in Port Stephens, a few waders were present, namely several Grey-tailed Tattlers which have gone into their summer dress and a Sacred Kingfisher perched on a post, waiting in anticipation for its prey. On the main road to Lemon Tree Passage, there was alot of Honeyeater activity, but mainly Friarbirds and Wattlebirds were present. All that I could see in flower along this road, was Red Bottlebrush (Callistemon sp.) in the swampy heath areas. Scaley-breasted Lorikeets were also about.

An early morning look around Newcastle harbour saw that the regular Common and White-winged Black-Terns have already left for their breeding grounds up north. However, a dark-morph Arctic Jaegar was seen flying out of the river and into the sea.

After arriving back at home later that day, I had another interesting find, a male Peregrine Facon just wizz over my backyard and only within 5 metres above my head. Wow!!!

Edwin Vella