birding-aus

birding-aus Re: SC parrots ( for Niven)

Subject: birding-aus Re: SC parrots ( for Niven)
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:23:40 +0930 (CST)
Hey, that was clever, sent a reply to myself!

Hi all, Well, we (six intrepid South aus birders and one Singaporean)
knocked up over 2000km during the Easter break and on Saturday were blessed
with a sighting of the Scarlet-chested Parrot, just one (female).We found it
about 25km NE of Ceduna, near the Nullarbor in Yumbarra CP. We hadn't really
expected to have such luck, but of course the usual happened -- after
searching around in the right habitat for about two hours in the park we
were back at our vehicles      ( totally knackered) when one obligingly flew
into a tree just nearby. One cool observer remarked on first sighting the
bird -- " Er, I have a parrot in that tree, just flew in"  and of course it
was THE parrot!!
Contrary to advice given us by John Cox, the Naretha Blue Bonnet was not to
be found at it's alleged site 50km west along the dog fence, but that was
very bearable having already seen the SC parrot.The QT was just too far west
for this trip, but come June/July 'twill be found at Nullarbor roadhouse.
For BA, atlas reports done for many locations.
Cheers and beers. Tony.

At 17:11 31/03/99 +0930, you wrote:
>Bye all, Gone looking for the Scarlet-chested Parrots over Easter. Hope to
>make many of you green next Tuesday.Wish me luck. Tony.
>
>ps:  And the Naretha Parrot and the Nullarbor Quail Thrush.
>Tony Russell
>Ph: 08 82078470W
>    08 83375959H
>Fax:08 82078422
>e mail:
>Adelaide South Australia.
>
>To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
>Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
>quotes)

Tony Russell
Ph: 08 82078470W
    08 83375959H