birding-aus

Re: birding-aus GPS selective availability

To: David McDonald <>, Birding-Aus Mail <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus GPS selective availability
From: "Lawrence E. Conole" <>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 10:39:16 +1000

David McDonald wrote:

> Atlassers who used a GPS receiver over Easter will have noticed the
> stability of the location displayed. I understand that this is because
> the US Dept of Defence has turned off GPS selective availability to
> assist NATO's operations in the awful war in Yugoslavia, as they did
> during the Gulf war. It is also said that they intend turning off
> selective availability permanently (quite independently of the war) in
> August this year. Does anyone have information to confirm this?

To the best of my knowledge the US DoD has agreed to turn off Selective
Availability (which degrades the GPS signal accessed by the great unwashed)
at some stage, and that Bill Clinton has signed the legislation.

My understanding is that SA only effects civilians and non-US allies
anyhow.  The US DoD and NATO would not have been subject to SA, so turning
it off temporarily would be of no particular benefit.  As far as I'm aware,
a number of research teams have developed systems/software to ameliorate
the effects of SA, so I imagine most of America's allies/enemies have too.

I guess people realise that GPS is what guides those horrendous cruise
missiles.  A useful technology for birders now - but from a rather barbaric
origin.

I didn't take much notice of the stability of location when I used my GPS
over the weekend - I shall run outside & check it now!!

Cheers, Lawrie

--
Lawrie Conole

Phone AH (03) 9354 2484