birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Birds of Barraba

Subject: birding-aus Re: Birds of Barraba
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 08:25:54 +1000
Alan

Thanks again for the Regent Honeyeater record.

In a quick scan of your bird list for the Barraba (northern NSW) area
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet jumped out at me.  This is rather interesting.
While I appreciate that you may not have seen every bird on the list
yourself, was the possibility of Musk Lorikeet completely ruled out?  This
is the far more likely of the two in that area.

I would also like to endorse Alan's comments about Russ Watts and his
efforts to promote the area as an excellent birding location.  This has
some real long-term benefits.  It increases awareness of the uniqueness of
the area among locals and puts a value on the environment.  Like many rural
backwaters (apologies to those living in the Barraba area) the district is
struggling and the temptation to clear yet more important Mugga Ironbark
country is certainly there. Even small scale incremental clearing has a
serious impact.  Increased public awareness, especially if accompanied by
financial benefits bought in by birdwatchers, can make a real difference.
Russ is working extremely hard at this.  I would like all travelling along
the New England Highway to take the time to detour off the main road have a
break and look at some unique country.  Barraba (and Russ) was featured in
the last "Where the Regents Roam", the newsletter of the Regent Honeyeater
Recovery Effort.

David Geering

quotes)