birding-aus

birding-aus Backyard surprises

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Backyard surprises
From: "Jim Oakley" <>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 16:05:29 +1000
We were having lunch at our home in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, on Good Friday, when a spotted Turtle Dove flew into the window and lay inert on the path. Almost immediately a raptor flew across the garden and landed on our rotary clothesline in full view, about 20 metres away.From its size it was an immature female Collared Sparrowhawk, obligingly lifting its very long middle toe up and down to remind me not to overlook it.It stayed 5 minutes and flew off. I couldn't believe my luck.

Reg Oakley