birding-aus

birding-aus Seeking assistance/advice re south-west Queensland (and nor

Subject: birding-aus Seeking assistance/advice re south-west Queensland (and north-central NSW)
From: Dr Richard Nowotny <>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:05:15 +1000
>(I'm sending this for a second time because it seems not to have got
through to the list on the first attempt.  Please accept my apologies if
you have already received it.    R.)

>>Di and I are planning a 10-day trip to Eulo Bore and the Bulloo Overflow
area over Easter (leaving Melbourne on Thursday - but I will be accessing
my email en-route).  We will be travelling up the Newell Hwy to Dubbo and
then the Mitchell Hwy to Cunnamulla and Eulo Bore.  From there we will head
west to the Bulloo in search of Grey Grasswren (unsuccessfully sought in
the same area in Easter 1997).
>>Target birds (in addition to the Grasswren) for one or both of us are:
Bourke's Parrot, Chestnut-breasted & Cinnamon Quail-thrush, Spotted
Bowerbird, Hall's Babbler, Plum-headed Finch and Flock Bronzewing.
Additionally we naturally want to enjoy all the local birds and at the same
time do a little Atlassing.
>>If anyone has any local knowledge of good sites for any of the target
birds, or of "birdy" sites generally, or of any specialties at the moment I
would be grateful for any help you feel able to offer.  We will probably be
birding principally from Dubbo onwards, and particularly across
south-western Queensland.  Any general or specific advice on the trip would
also be welcome (I already have some of course, and have been up to Sturt
NP and the lower Strezlecki Track on our previous trip).
>>One long-shot:  Are Thick-billed Grasswren to be found in western NSW,
and if so where is a spot worth trying?  (This question derives from the
field-guide range-maps, which include western NSW - although I'm aware that
their stronghold is in SA.)

From:    Dr Richard Nowotny,
             Melbourne, Australia.
             Tel. (w) 61-3-9214.1420