birding-aus

birding-aus Papuan Frogmouth Breeding in Late March

Subject: birding-aus Papuan Frogmouth Breeding in Late March
From: Stan Emmerson <>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:28:00 +1000
Hello all,
        I've just returned from my nightly observation of a pair of Papuan
Frogmouths at a large nest (for a Frogmouth) only 5 minutes from the centre
of Cairns.  The birds are still sitting on a egg at this time of the year.
I can only assume it is because of the prolonged wet season (the wettest in
25 years) that they just haven't got around to making a nest.  I also hope
that as they are nesting, this means we will get some decent weather as I am
in the process of owner-building a house and haven't as yet got the roof on.

I have never seen Frogmouths nest this late before & I wonder if anyone else
has?  The nest is only 4 metres above ground level & I will keep you
informed on the health of the chick.  By the way, Papuan Frogmouths are very
plentiful around Cooktown, but scarce further south.

Cheers, Stan

quotes)