birding-aus

birding-aus Migrating Flame Robins

Subject: birding-aus Migrating Flame Robins
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:22:31 +1000
This evening (Wed 31 march 1999) we saw about 4 or 5 Flame Robins
flitting about in wattles and on the ground at the western edge of
Chelsworth Park Oval, close to the billabong, in Ivanhoe.  They seemed
to be feeding. All were brown birds - one had a faint warm tone on the
upper breast which might have been pinkish in better light. We had no
binoculars and the light was poor at about 5.40 pm, 'real' time, but I
have no doubt on identification. Wingflashes were quite obvious and i
was able to get up close.
Thirty years ago they were regular migrants which stayed for the winter.
These days we only see them passing through. I blame habitat change -
the Eastern Freeway replaced grazing land on the Kew bank of the Yarra,
among other management changes in parkland.
  Any other sightings yet this autumn?
Anthea Fleming in Ivanhoe, Melbourne.

quotes)