birding-aus

birding-aus Synonymy of E.s.riciniata

Subject: birding-aus Synonymy of E.s.riciniata
From: John Penhallurick <>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:28:40 +1000
I may have the anser to the question I posed myself recently on some
synonyms of Eos squamata riciniata of the northern Moluccas.

As it happens, I just received Vol.20, of Catalogue of the Birds in the
British Museum  on interlibrary loan, and it is possible that we have an
explanation there.
Under Eos riciniata on page 28, Salvadori lists:

?Le petit Lori de Gueby Sonnerat,1776
?Gueby Lory Latham,1781,p.219,no.21
Variegated Lory Latham,1781,1,p.220,no.22 (tail green!)
Psittacus guenbiensis Scopoli,1786 (ex Sonnerat)
Cochinchina Parrot Latham,1787 (false description!)
Psittacus guebiensis Gmelin,1788
Psittacus variegatus Gmelin,1788 (ex Latham)
Psittacus cochinsinensis Latham,1790
Perruche a chaperon bleu Levaillant,1801
Psittacus riciniatus Bechstein,1811

>From the question marks, it looks as if the birds of Sonnerat and Latham
1781 (Gueby Lory) are indeterminable.  And, obviously, there are major
problems with Variegated Lory of Latham 1781 if it has a green tail.  This
would make Scopoli's name and Gmelin's guebiensis nomina dubia, and also
Gmelin's P.variegatus a nomen dubium.  Latham's P.cochinsinensis is
presumably based on his own Cochinchina Parrot, which Salvadori describes
as involving a false description, so this is presumably also a nomen
dubium.  So it looks as if Bechstein's Psittacus riciniatus 1811 is the
first valid name!

If anyone has any other information, I'd still be grateful to hear it!

John Penhallurick

quotes)