birding-aus

birding-aus Mystry Parrots

Subject: birding-aus Mystry Parrots
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:03:17 +1000
Hi all,
Russell Woodford wrote;
>a few weeks ago I referred to a huge increase in a feral species in
>Grovedale, near Geelong, Vic.  My colleauge, a chemistry teacher, called
>them small green parrots, supposedly of Sth African origin.
>SO... she took a video, which I've edited and put on a web site.
>The birds have increased from about 6 to over 200 in the last 8 years
>since their release.

On the way down to the Great Ocean Rd (Vic) on the weekend I stopped in to
check out the parrots on the edge of Geelong that were thought to be
introduced. The video capture that was placed on the net was also viewed on
a TV screen. There is no doubt that both the birds on the video and those in
the reserve are Purple crowned Lorikeets! Video footage revealed red
underwing flash, all head markings (although colour was somewhat out),
blue-grey wash to breast and reasonably diagnostic call.

All the best
Rohan Clarke

quotes)