birding-aus

birding-aus Common Myna

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus Common Myna
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:06:44 +1000
Hi all,

I have been disconnected during the birding-aus troubles of the past days.
As I have had no replies to this posting, I assume many others have not
received it. Therefore I post it again:

In the course of our (Sunshine Coast Ornithological Society) gathering
information about the Common (or Indian) Myna on the Sunshine Coast of
Queensland, an elderly informant has said that he knows the bird well from
his time in Darwin. I am looking for clues that he does really know which
birds we are investigating. He is adamant that he is correct.

There is doubt in my mind. I had no recollection of seeing the Common Myna
in Darwin, but I haven't been there since 1994, and they can move in
quickly. I have checked the old Atlas and a couple of field guides, and
there is no mention of their occurrence in Darwin.

Would Darwin people please advise? I cannot recall how long this man said
it is since he left Darwin, and so please advise if Mynas have ever been in
Darwin.

Thanks in advance,

Jill

Jill Dening