birding-aus

birding-aus Honeyeater migration has started

Subject: birding-aus Honeyeater migration has started
From: "Carol Probets" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:44:16 PST
30th March 1999

Hi all,

At last! After watching expectantly every day, flocks of Yellow-faced
Honeyeaters are making a definite northward movement through Katoomba
today (a fine, mostly blue-sky day), though numbers are small and some
flocks appear to be travelling south(!) instead. The constant ?chip
chip?? contact calls of this species are a real feature of autumn here,
and I happen to live in one of the best possible spots for watching them
as they fly up the Katoomba Falls catchment to the head of the valley
where they fly across the road and over my house.

Looking back through my records, I find that the migration usually
starts here somewhere between 23rd March and 1st April, though last year
it began on the 10th March and seemed to be an especially large
migration ? one day I counted them at over 6000 an hour passing over my
house, and there were at least as many again going over further along
the road which I wasn?t counting! Later in the season they?re joined by
increasing numbers of White-naped Honeyeaters.

Have others noticed them this season yet? Especially those
birding-ausers in Canberra ? it would be interesting to know if they
started there on the same date, or earlier.

Cheers,
Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba NSW