birding-aus

birding-aus Wedge Tailed Eagles, Melbourne Int. Airport

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Wedge Tailed Eagles, Melbourne Int. Airport
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 18:58:23 +1030
Last month there was some discussion of WTEagles around Melbourne. In January I was surprised to see 3 WTEagles soaring above the northern end of the main runway at Melbourne Airport. It was a very busy Sunday afternoon at the airport (it was the day before the Australian Open Tennis) but the birds kept well above the incoming planes.

Earlier in the day a friend had taken me into the Air Traffic Control tower. We were delighted to see a Nankeen Kestral soaring around the tower only metres away from the windows. The traffic controllers on duty that day knew exactly what it was so it must regularly visit them.

A week earlier I had also seen a WTEagle above Cranbourne Botanic Gardens, SE of Melbourne. It is good to see them so close to the populated areas.

Happy birding,

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge
South Australia