birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Conservationist Duck Killers

To: "birding-aus" <>, "Harry Clarke" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Conservationist Duck Killers
From: "S Cooney" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:52:52 +1000
birding-aus

I think its worth raising, Harry.

I don't know what they do in the USA but in Australia the good that Field
and Game do by providing a few nest boxes in no way makes up for the
barbaric nature of an open season.

It is obvious that year after year they break the law by shooting protected
species, shooting birds on the water and shooting in before dawn.

Even the legal aspects are cruel.  The injured birds are often killed by
the hunters dogs, lead pollutes the swamps and they constantly litter their
camp-sites.

If they are providing wetland habitat for ducks then that reflects badly on
our community.  As a population as a whole we need to protect our flora and
fauna and not rely on a group with a vested interest (a violent and
gruesome one at that) to provide that protection.

I am surprised that the shooters you spoke to didn't tell you what a great
job they were doing for the rice farmers.  This is the line I most often
hear when talking to them.  In fact the ducks largely feed on bloodworm
that do far more damage to a rice crop then they will.  Indeed I believe a
DNRE report suggests that the presence of ducks is beneficial in keeping
parasitic invertebrate numbers down (I would love to see it if anyone can
help).  Even were this not so it does justify the free-for-all that is a
duck season.

As Karen points out, NSW has banned this practice and here in Victoria we
need to keep up the pressure to make this the last season in Victoria.

Meanwhile my boss will be back from a shooting holiday on Monday and won't
that make an interesting sales meeting.

Any non-duck shooters got any jobs going?

Stuart Cooney

Stuart Cooney

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)