birding-aus

birding-aus Duck shooting

To: Russell <>
Subject: birding-aus Duck shooting
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:42:24 +1100
birding-aus

>Its sad to say that duck season in Victoria has come around again

Sad isn't the word !!    I've spent the weekend feeling very morose in that
I should be doing more to stop this atrocity happening.  What is wrong with
Victoria?   NSW eventually realised the maddness!

--- snip

>Lets hope this sort of silly season ends soon.

Too bloody right.   After attending 2 duck rescues in NSW previously, I can
vouch for the cruelty, destruction, environmental vandalism and TOTAL
disregard for our native wildlife.  It is revolting and disgraceful.  I've
seen PILES (yes piles, I am not exaggerating) of shot birds retrieved.  All
species, all colours.  The vets at times had to get the field guides out to
i.d. some of the more unusual victims of this blood 'sport'.   The trend I
saw was, If it moves, shoot it.

>From Sundays newspaper I believe the first birds treated by the vets on site
were Grebes together with a photo of a injured swan.  Todays 'Age' shows a
Werribee vet treating an orphaned cygnet.

Try turning up to camp with a shot Freckle Duck in your backpack only to
find the next fellow out has THREE - then discovering the vet is in the
middle of treating a shot pelican.
And that is one of the more pleasant stories, believe me.

Best wishes to your family involved Stuart.  Attending rescues is a
harrowing experience and one I will never forget but thank goodness there
are people out there fighting for some sanity.   Good on you for bringing it
up.

All the best
Karen
Hampton, Vic.

>Stuart Cooney
>
>To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
>Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)

As a postscript to the above, NSW people had better think carefully how
they vote next weekend.  (Here I am bringing politics into the debate!).The
Liberals have indicated they will "consider" reintroducing duck shooting
(chasing the gun lobby). However limited, or controlled, or educated, you
can't keep the hoons out, as well as which  officially sanctioning it
encourages many to see wild birds and animals as free and available to
shoot - at any time if they can get away with it -  which they often do.

It's a travesty of "sport" - firing a fussilade of pellets into a mass of
birds and boasting of your prowess as you count the bag, whilst the wounded
struggle away to die in the reeds or drown. What great big brave heros the
shooters are! Pathetic!

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)