birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Another Mystery Bird

Subject: birding-aus Re: Another Mystery Bird
From: Peregrine <>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:16:36 -0500 (EST)
birding-aus

apparently the sugar gliders which are sold as pets in the US originally
came from New Guinea? where restrictions on their exportation are less
stringent.  Im not sure if thats true or not but thats what the pet shop
person told me when i asked. of course most of them are now supposedly
bred in the states by licenced breeders.
I was concerned at the time that i saw the glider in question that the
pet shop and the people who would ultimately end up buying them would
have no idea how to really care for them.  How can you keep a nocturnal
arboreal mammal in an aquarium type cage with little real hiding space,
and nothing to climb any grat distance up?   they are cute and
with understanding they would probaly make a good pet, apparently they
become very affectionate.
I don't know about wallabies, wouldnt keeping them sort of be equivalent
to keeping a goat in the house?

Katie Bertsche

Katie Bertsche .........If you're too busy to go birding, you're too busy.
Sydney, NSW, Australia

http://www.bowdoin.edu/~kbertsch