birding-aus

birding-aus Another Mystery Bird

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Another Mystery Bird
From: "Vicki Parslow Stafford" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 00:12:26 -0500
birding-aus

Russell Woodford's query, and Mike Owen's response, prompted me to ask for
suggestions about a "mystery parrot" seen in my back yard last week.

I was alerted by the call at first.  Rainbow and scaly-breasted lorikeets
are in large numbers around here, and pale headed-rosellas quite common.
This was the call of a single bird, a rather sweet double-syllabled
rosella-like tinkling chirrup.  Eventually I spotted signs of vigorous
lorikeet-like scrabbling in a small cassia bush. The bird was doing as
lorikeets do when feeding eg shuffling along the branch, hanging
upside-down etc (but no blossoms on the tree).

I didn't get a good look from all angles before it flew off, so all I could
tell was that it had a fairly uniform dull olive-green colour above; no
head or facial colour markings that I could see at that distance; and a
pale-lemon belly (no distinct demarcation between breast and belly).  In
size, it was noticeably smaller than a scaly-breasted lorikeet, with a
short stubby tail.

My two guesses were a (possibly juvenile) little lorikeet, or an escaped
aviary lovebird of some kind.  Suggestions appreciated.

Vicki PS